Anthurium is a beautiful flowering plant native to the region of Mexico through Northern Argentina. With numerous colors and varieties available, the anthurium is a beautiful alternative to cut flowers for life's celebrations.
Our 12-18" tall anthurium varieties are grown by a Florida family specializing in alocasia, anthurium, pothos, and philodendron since 1981. Hurricane Andrew completely destroyed their nursery in 1992, and hurricane Irma caused another $80,000 in damage in 2017, but the family has rebuilt each time to continue their legacy of growing some of the rarest and most unique aroids in the country.
The family's secret lies in their shade house technology. Every single plant in the nursery's more than 160,000 sq ft of space is fed with a constant drip of water to maximize growth without overwatering. Such an elaborate system requires substantial maintenance to ensure that no drips are clogged and no plants go without water.
CARE AND MAINTENANCE
- Potted in 6" sandstone planter with no drainage holes. Lightweight and rigid composite material.
- Recommend transplanting within 2-3 years into a vessel 1-2 inches larger using regular potting mix
- Clean leaves with damp paper towel every 1-2 weeks to aid photosynthesis and stimulate growth. Check leaves and stalks for pests while cleaning. For more information on the importance of cleaning leaves, read our guide at waterandlight(dot)nyc
- If pests are found, remove with damp paper towel and use a mild organic pesticide in a spray bottle to coat the affected areas. More information on common pest problems can be found at waterandlight(dot)nyc
- Toxic to pets, contact your veterinarian in the event that sap, leaves, or any part of plant is ingested
- Water thoroughly once every 7 days. We will add clay drainage balls to the bottom of the pot, however avoid overwatering. You can read some fundamental rules of watering at waterandlight(dot)nyc
- Medium indirect light, avoid windows as they amplify the sun's intensity and create heat that may damage plant. You can find our plant placement guidelines at waterandlight(dot)nyc.
SHIPPING AND RETURNS
All items are shipped from Florida on Mondays or Tuesdays to allow for maximum continuous transit time while avoiding time spent sitting in warehouses, trucks, or other distribution points over the weekend. Depending on your location and the weather conditions across the country, we may be forced to hold on shipping until conditions improve as we have had items freeze while sitting in Chicago for four days and get delayed due to heavy holiday volume (Mother's Day, Christmas, etc.). We will make every attempt to ship your item promptly on the very next Monday or Tuesday given that there are no anomalies in shipping conditions.
Item ships only within the contiguous U.S. (no AK, HI, PR). No international shipments. No returns will be accepted.